Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I always found it curious that the RM (then CK) portfolio would profess TROW
as a long-term investment while simultaneously professing a belief and suggesting
a means by which the individual investor can outperform the mutual fund
industry--the RP4, indexing, investing in RM & RB to name a few. IMHO, the
long-term prospects of mutual funds (other than one tracking the index) are
questionable given recent developments (discount brokers, online access to
information, fee awareness, underperformance etc.).>>

I would agree with this to an extent -- that is TROW may be a Cash-King, but under no stretch of the imagination could it be called a Rule Maker.

TROW is a tweener. At one time being a no-load mutual fund company was breaking the rules a bit, but it isn't any longer, and TROW sure ain't writing any of the rules. Vanguard is the Rule Maker plain and simple. (Vanguard took in as much new money last year as the next five biggest growers in the field. The mutual fund family competition is largely over already, it's just that not many are reporting it.)

Whither TROW? I don't know. It's a perfectly average mutual fund management company, significantly better than some, but overall with no real advantages. I've seen it ranked both above and below average by different systems, but there's nothing particularly interesting about its record. I would expect TROW to slowly drift nowhere over the next ten years. I certainly don't think that I see an exciting story going forward for it. Right now, the only thing T.Rowe funds really have going are lower costs than some others -- but ultimately it can't really compete with Vanguard. This is literally true by the way -- it can't compete with Vanguard which is a not-for-profit operation and will always be able to charge lower fees than the for profit TROW.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.