No. of Recommendations: 8
<<I am sorry that you had to go through this but it has reinforeced to me my previous behaviour. DH has been laid off twice since I have known him. Once before we were married and once after. Previous to us meeting he was laid off for over a year.>>

Layoffs are a somewhat different but related subject, I think.

My brother moved from being a health care provider to the CEO of non profit health care clinic groups, some of which have had 200-300 employees.

He's had to change jobs a couple of times when those jobs came to the end of the line for him. Finding equivalent jobs to which he could commute to and without moving and disrupting his family has been a challenge and taken time.

The last time it took 2-3 years. During that time he worked as an independent consultant for the same type of outfits he had used to run, doing various tasks that needed to be done or replacing clinic managers and such on a temporary basis.

Probably not working full time or bringing in a full time paycheck. Indeed, probably a more comfortable and leisurely lifestyle than working full time in a demanding job.

His wife remained a health care provider, being the chief provider with a job that had benefits year in and year out, being the financial rock in those tougher times.

I recall gently teasing my brother a bit about his good deal and early retirement, and my sister in law pinned my ears back at that. I ESPECIALLY like her for doing that! She understood and accepted the difficulties my brother had finding equivalent work, and wasn't about to accept any teasing about a serious subject.

About a year and a half ago my brother found another job filling the bill of doing what he wanted to do. He has a second home where he lives during the week because the commute is a ways, but he's back with a full time job doing the work he is best qualified to do.

That's doing pretty well, especially considering the recession.

But he and his wife both soldiered on when times were difficult and stressful. I admire both of them a lot for that courage.

Now it's my sister in law who is having difficult time with her employer who has been cutting wage rates and increasing hours of work and general demands on employees and generally making the job and profession significantly less attractive. She has cut back her hours of work to a level she can find acceptable.

And this fall her second and last child will be in college and her husband will be out of town several days/week. She will be confronting the challenge of being an empty nester, and probably not especially happy about it.

Anyway, they have a marriage that has been a real partnership.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.