Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I currently have about $13000.00 in saving bonds (about half of them are eligible for the education benefit
program >>

If you qualify to use the Hope and/or Lifetime Learning credits, you may want to check to see if you can use these credits and the savings bond deal the same year.

Just a comment, if your income qualifies you for the savings bond deal and your son is a reasonably good student, your aid package looks somewhat low to me.(with the understanding that I have very few details). Have you run your numbers through the EFC calculator at www.finaid.org ?

<<My plan is
to go after as much aid as possible after my son's mid term grades come in (hopefully they will be good. >>

Merit aid ? Aid is usually awarded in a school year package and rarely does more aid become available mid-year.

Jacki

The transfering money to your account is not something I would do. If there is a 1099 generated by the account, the finaid office may ask where that money went. Also, frankly in terms of disclosing his assets, what would you answer on the FAFSA next year ?
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.