Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I definitely want to FIRE. My husband at least would like to be FI, if not RE. However, the reality is that we can't do it any time soon. (I'm mid-30s, he's early 40s).

We live in CA and bought a house several years ago. We're in the money on it, but we've got a long way to go to pay it off. It doesn't make sense for us to pay it off early, though, because our (fixed) interest rate is pretty low. At this point, the only way I could think of RE is if we were to give up the house, and I wouldn't want to do that.

We also don't have children yet, but may want to. If we do, it will obviously change the financial landscape in a major way.

We max out our retirement accounts and have an E-Fund. We bought some index funds (after-tax) a year or so ago, and we're down, but we're not too worried. We don't have a regular investment plan, but I want to set up something automatic rather than just transferring cash periodically when it builds up.
>>

My general theory is that if you earn a decent income, live frugally and invest the difference, financial independence will take care of itself over a period of two or three decades.

That approach doesn't appear to be working for you folks. Can you provide information on why not?

With two people working for presumably a number of years, I would expect that you have the earning decently part taken care of.

Have you always lived frugally, or was there a hangover of spending and debt that had to be addressed? I could also imagine big student loans or the high price of housing causing a problem.

I'd sure do some hard thinking about children ---- there's a decision that deserves to be made sooner rather than later!

Good luck and good planning---

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.