Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I don't believe I've ever seen anybody write that they had a positive experience with an AMEX financial advisor.>>

Now why am I not at all surprised?

I began the interview process to become an AMEX financial advisor. For anyone who has never gone that route, here is some valuable information: you will find ads for AMEX financial advisor in the "sales" section of the classified.

AMEX goes through a boring, grueling, and totally worthless process to find their financial advisors. First, they give you a generic computer test, which asks really dumb questions over and over again like, "Do you like to tool around with your car?" I assumed they were checking consistency and honesty, but who the heck knows. (There were also questions like, "Have you ever lied to anyone?" Yeah, like who hasn't told their parents a little white lie in their life?)

When you pass that test -- and only a sociopath or Al Quaida recruit would not -- you are invited back for part 2 of the interview process, the lecture. The lecture begins all fine and well, until the moment of truth. And that moment begins, "People, this is a sales job! If you want to succeed, you need to learn how to sell." Then, instead of spending time telling you the things you'll learn to help people, they tell you about their commission schedules, and how many years it takes to earn $$$, etc.

As for the candidates that were in the room with me -- they were from all walks of life, including former maintenance men, recent college grads with no particular ambition, car salesmen looking for a more formidable line of work, etc. And there was no apparent interest on the leader's part to separate the serious from the desperate. At least not for the first two phases of the recruiting process.

The next step was a one-on-one interview, which I suppose narrowed down the candidates. Fortunately for me, other opportunities opened up, and I never pursued the position further.

However, this should give you some idea of the talent pool from which they recruit.

And one last thing ... if you paid him $400, he should at least rerun the correct numbers in the financial plan regarding the college start years for your kids. Geez!

Barbara

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.