Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
<<I fully agree with you dbPhoenix on your buying strategy>>

I don't know that I'd call it a "buying strategy"; I'm just waiting for it to stop falling. I'm also trying to sift out the facts.

The subjects of faith or belief don't enter into my decisions to buy or not to buy. I try to avoid words like if, might, should, ought to, can, expect, anticipate. When I first read The GG, the thought that faith might be required never really occurred to me. To the contrary, the GG struck me as a very "show me the money" sort of approach - yes/no, is it/isn't it, does it/doesn't it. And while the idea that the market commonly undervalues gorillas made perfect sense, I never extrapolated from that that one might be expected - much less required - to argue or even ignore the market with regard to valuation.

No investment approach should require faith. One who embraces such an approach invariably, sooner or later, finds himself in the position of having either to admit that he was wrong and abandon his position (psychologically, a low-probability outcome) or to adhere to his position even more strongly, even if that means disconnecting himself entirely from market realities. The "long haul" will not save him if his position is untenable.

I had thought that the strength of the GG was to prevent the investor from taking such a position, not to encourage him to do so. But there's always the possibility that I've misunderstood all of this from the very beginning.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.