No. of Recommendations: 109
<<I have fears of money or the lack thereof. I'm 41, with no man in sight and could very well end up an old spinster. The women in my family live to be very old, great grandma was 105 when she died. Social Security could be nothing more than a memory in 25 years and all I'll have is what I managed to save which is not much being on one income in So Cal. I fear that I'll end up eating cat food and then being placed in a state home because I have no kids to care for me. No one will come visit me and i'll lie there in my own filth because the state can't afford to give me more than 2 baths a week. When I drive past the country club in the mornings and I see retired people enjoying the good life, I know that won't be me. I'll probably be in a one room shack eating "potted meat food product" out of the can and mumbling giberish to the cats..all 57 of them.

Yep..you could say I have fear!

Kathy
>>

While I suppose it is a mistake to offer advice to someone venting their anxieties, I will take the chance.

Kathy, you have one big advantage: you are single. That means you can be VERY flexible in your living situation if you wish to be.

I was homeless during my senior year in high school, but I never missed any school. I lived in a parking lot in downtown Seattle, cleaned up a fast food restaurant in the morning at 5AM and fixed my own breakfast for free at that shop as well as earning the money I needed to survive.

I wonder if you have really investigated renting a room in someone's home and selling off your house, which is a ball and chain to you. You could probably free up a lot of time to use to add income or strike up a social life. You might be part of the family you lived with, and it would probably cost you a lot less than you are spending now.

Single people have the big advantage of being able to live cheaply if we want to do so. I'd be very surprised if there aren't a variety of low cost ways to live for you if you wanted to give them a try.

41 isn't old (says the 54 year old). You still have time to construct a good life for yourself. But time IS a wasting. If you stick to your present life, you can see real problems ahead. That just means you need to carefully consider the alternatives you have, and the major problem is being chained to a home that impairs rather than enhances your life.

Seattle Pioneer

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.