Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I have no idea what type of research you are talking about, except for a test drive.>>

In my case the research was knowing what vehicle I wanted to test drive before setting foot in a dealership. I had the big fit before doing any research. I then used Consumer Reports to get the reliability rateings of the vehicles I was interested in. I used Edmunds to find the features I was looking for. I used Edmunds town hall/bulletin boards to see what people were saying on why I didn't want to buy the the model I was considering. The principle of I never learned anything from someone I agreed with. It was on the bullitin boards I discovered that one of the engine options had problems until the 99 model year. I used the credit union NADA book so I had price information on my trade and the vehicle I was considering. The trip to the credit union is also a good time to get a preapproval if you are going to have to finace the vehicle. Now I was prepared to goto the dealership. I found a vehicle I liked and test drove it. I did not negotiate price at this time I brought home a printout of the window sticker so that I had equipment, VIN, mileage, and starting price. I ran a Lemon Check the next morning and called the salesman to negotiate price. I laid out the deal I wanted he took it to the sales manager who agreed.

What the sales man told me on this purchase is he prefers to deal with an informed buyer partially because they know a good deal when they see it. The car I bought without doing my homework I was taken for a ride, and it was sterotkypical my worst buying experience. By doing the homework the car buying was painless and if it wasn't so expensive I would consider buying cars more often.

~~paul
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.