Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I have received K1s from an estate based in California. The amount received was roughly $3000, all of it from ordinary dividends and interest. I reside in Missouri. Do I need to file a California return? My accountant suggests not, but I want to be sure.... Is there any place I can get a definitive answer?>>

If the earnings were from CA sources and a CA decedent, then you'll want to file a CA tax return if for no other reason than to keep the Franchise Tax Board off of your back. CA will take the position that these funds are taxable to CA, even though you are a CA non-resident.

And, it's likely at this income level, there would be no CA tax due anyway. And then you'd have the return filed and done with.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.