Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I just feel like we are being manipulated when the data points are so intentionally bogus. They imply that it shows a trend over time, which is just like trying to hype stock performance by showing their "long-term growth" over the same two data points.>>

As I said in my previous post, I don't disagree with this line of thought. However, I think when you focus on these details and ignore the overall point of the article, you are closing your mind to some potentially valuable information (hat tip to Starrob, here).

The idea that there is outrage at the excesses in pay (be they wrong or right) means that the government will feel it has the backing to impliment new tax schemes and programs to level the playing field.

This could potentially result in companies being chased from our shores (higher taxes), wealthy citizens being chased from our shores (higher taxes), a significant shift in the profitability of health providers and insurers (universal health care), rising unemployment among accountants and lawyers (closing tax loopholes or a simplified tax plan), rising unemployment in retail and closures of Brooks Brothers (see previous).

Nate

P.S.

Just to clear the record, if you take the full paragraph from the Economist article, it states:

"Between 1947 and 1979 the top 0.1% of American earners were, on average, paid 20 times as much as the bottom 90%, according to the Economic Policy Institute, a think-tank in Washington, DC; by 2006 the ratio had grown to 77."

For full disclosure, the Economic Policy Institute is funded by a bunch of liberals (George Soros is a prominent name on the list), so take the data with as much salt as you feel necessary.

From the data I can find (http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/GDPCTPI/download...), GDP growth between 1947 and 1979 outpaced GDP growth between 1979 and 2008 on an average annual basis, 3.7% vs 3.2%. (If you want to back up to 2006, things don't change much, 3.7% vs 3.3%.)

Granted, I may be cherry picking dates here, but I've done my best at full disclosure.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.