Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I just transferred stocks to another brokerage firm. The fractional portion of the stocks were sold and the remaining whole shares were transferred. Now I have a tax sale situation for the fractional shares.>>

Right you are...

<<I want to use the specific identification method for the sale. Can I still do this or is it too late since I didn't tell the broker in advance?>>

Too late. Sorry.

<< What steps do I need to take? Do I need to write a letter to the broker specifying the shares I wanted a sold? If so, do I need to make sure I get a confirmation of the brokers' receipt of the letter?>>

You can read about the rules that the IRS wants you to follow in the Taxes FAQ area...along with a loophole that you might be able to use in the future. In addition, the issue of specific share identification is discussed at the Fairmark (http://www.fairmark.com)

You might want to check it out. There is some good information there also.

<<If it is too late for me to use the specific identification method, can I use the specific identification method on future sales of the same stock?>>

Yup...if you follow the proper procedures...whatever you determine those to be after reading all of the various opinions.

I have discussed this many times in the folder. You might want to do a folder search to see what I (and others) have to say on the issue.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.