Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I know i can avoid capital gains taxes on appreciated stocks by putting them in a Charitable Remainder Unitrust(and of course pass the Trust to a Charity.>>

Right...and there are some other benefits.

<< Can I also "promote" an IRA by doing the same with it? >>

I don't know what you mean by "promote". If you are asking if you can avoid taxes on your IRA by "gifting" the IRA to a CRT, then answer is no. If you were to do such a thing, it would be a deemed distribution to your for the balance of the IRA (taxable to you), and then you would be funding the CRT with after tax funds.

So trying this gambit with an IRA account isn't going to accomplish your goals of avoiding taxes on the IRA.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.