No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I left the employer a few years ago. The contract has no surrender penalties if I have left the employer. I am looking for a plan that will allow me to pick the stocks rather than having to go with some unknown mutual fund. How do I go about transferring and finding a different plan? >>

Choose a (discount) broker: Tell them that you want to roll your 403(b)into an IRA, they will do all the work for you. I chose TD Waterhouse because they do not charge fees for IRAs or have minimums for them. At that point, you are able to choose what stocks you want to buy.

Whether or not to convert your Roll-over to a Roth IRA is a personal decision (I decided against it, and opened a separate account and put all new IRA contributions into a Roth. I now have 2 IRAs and I have fun competing different strategies in them).

I hope this helps

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.