Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I thought it was the Supreme Court that ruled in this case, and not populism.>>

I meant that the Israeli courts seem too often to be influenced by public opinion, and I think this is such a case.

It's a funny thing, Supreme Courts often rule in the direction of populism. Interestingly enough, populist supporters of one side of the issue are just as often perturbed (or satisfied as the case may be) as the populist supporters of the other side of the issue. I guess that is due to the fact that Supreme Courts can generally only decide in one direction or another. Supreme Courts have just as often ruled in ways that perturbed the "law and order" populists.

I'm not referring to highly charged political issues, such as the 2000 election you may have thought about as you wrote this. I'm thinking about the straight forward and fundamental protection of habeas corpus against a lynch mob mentality.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.