Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<If I convert my IRA to a Roth in 1998 I understand that I get to pay the tax on it over 4 years. But
the question is, does the amount of the conversion get claimed as income over 4 years, or does the
tax liability itself get divided by 4 years? ... The difference is the possibility that, if claimed in one year, it would push me into a higher tax bracket.>>

It's the *income* (a distribution, in IRSese) which is ratably spread over the next 4 years (98,99,00,01), NOT the taxes per se. Thus, as you have noted, you could find yourself in a new tax bracket if you foolishly (small 'f') convert a large amount and are close to the 15%/28% bracket line this year or will be close in one of the subsequent 3 years, due to raises and/or unexpected income (capital gains/dividends/lottery winnings/etc.). My advice (free & worth every penny you paid) is 'festina lente', which is Latin for 'Make haste slowly.' IOW, take a close look before you leap; Roth IRAs are a great deal (for most folks) but NOT worth a tax hike if you can avoid it by converting slowly.

<<...Also, does the WHOLE amount have to be claimed as income, or just the contribution amount and not the gains?>>

The amount claimed as income, I believe, is the sum in your traditional IRA which has not already been taxed. IOW, ALL of your earnings (these are tax-deferred, remember) & the portion of contributions which were tax-deductible when added originally. This latter sum is your 'basis' and can be found on line 2 of IRS form 8606 of your tax return, which should be lying around someplace nearby round about now, since it's mid-April. Hope this helps. Chris S.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.