No. of Recommendations: 0
[[<<In 1998 will I be able to do both:
1. Roll over my traditional IRA into a Roth IRA and
2. Make an additional $2000 contribution for 1998?

I.e., the rollover won't count as that year's contribution, will it?>>

Yes, you will be able to convert (rollover) an existing IRA into a Roth AND make a $2K
contribution to a Roth as well. They are separate transactions and rollovers of IRAs never count as
part of an annual contribution to an IRA.]]

I think it would be better to do (2) first, and then (1), because then you will be able to have all of the money in the same account and avoid the extra $10 custodial fee. (See "another Roth Question") Only problem: if fund charges a load (or equivalent) for conversion. I have an email into Vanguard to see if they charge their upfront quasi-loads for conversion.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.