Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
<<Looking baack with hindsight, what is the single most important thing to do preparing for retirement?>>

Aside from the sound financial you already received, the two most important things we did was to stay involved with people and find hobbies.
On retiring I no longer had the social aspect of work, ie: coffee breaks and lunch breaks with co- workers, nor the contact of co-workers in the work arena. We moved to a new community, away from family and friends. We wanted out of the city life and hassle.
We joined social groups and volunteer work. The friends we made and the volunteer work is very rewarding and very satisfying in our 'new life'
Not having a hobby before retirement, I discovered "weaving" and now have four looms of various sizes and for different types of projects. I really surprised myself as to some of the nice things I wove in the process of learning different patterns and such. I found a guild of about a dozen ladies who are weavers and I was invited to join them. I can't begin to tell you how much fun I have with these ladies and how helpful they've been teaching a novice like me to weave.

Filling the void of the time that was spent at work is important. Too many found this to be true and hated retirement for the lack of staying involved with people and having things to do.

Realizing the need to prepare will ensure you a comfortable and happy retirement.

Good luck to you and yours in the planning of your future.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.