Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<f they are successfull and each making $125,000 or $200,000 apiece, I'm not sure that is an impossible situation. I
expect that these folks expect to more than make back their educational costs.

The secret is to also not get into the habit of living a $250,000 or $400,000 joint income lifestyle......

Then again, if they can pay $60,000 per year to pay off loans for 10years, just think what $60,000 per year into
retirement accounts would do if they continued that for another 20 years.

A lot of people manage to live on $30,000 or less each year, and many many many on $40,000 or $50,000/yr. >>>

Thier is so much to say about this........so here goes.

Physician income depends on two things, what specialty you're in and where you're practicing. If they're both pediatricians they might be lucky to have a combined income of 200k. However, if they're both invasive cardiologists, 1M would be easy.

Now for the rest. Everyone must remember that each physician is a walking/talking corporation. Like any corporation you have gross sales/income, and then net income or EPS (earnings per share). First you have to subtract things as: malpractice insurance, office space rental, staffing salaries, equipment, etc. These things obviously vary according to practice and area of practice. My malpractice alone is about 10% of gross, but better perspective is about two to three times the average income in my area. It is easily concievable that 1/2 of gross goes to running the corporation and the other 1/2 is CEO pay, which 1/2 goes to Uncle Sam for being a succesful, self-sufficient, productive citizen. Therefore, only about 1/4 of gross earnings comes home.

For the invasive cardiologist, it's not too bad a deal, but for our married pediatricians life will be difficult. While they may be "living" off of 50k, imagine having 3 mortgages (a house and two student loans), trying to save for retirement, and children's college funds. Whenever a neighbor's kid asks me about medicine as a profession, I say I don't regret the choice, but there is a much easier ways to earn a living.

JLC
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.