Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<I'd like to transfer the money in my existing Roth IRA, which is a bad mutual fund, and open a Roth IRA within my discount brokerage and actively manage it. Can I do this without penalty?>>

< You bet. The easiest way is to open a new self-directed Roth with a discount broker & then fill out the form which your new IRA custodian provides to transfer your money from your old account. It'll all happen without you ever needing to contact your existing IRA custodian. As long as it's a direct custodian to custodian transfer, there are no axes/penalties of any kind (except for any minor administrative fees which your old custodian may levy to liquidate the mutual fund IRA).>


Be careful because some mutual funds are back-end loaded, and there may be a sales-charge is you sell them.


PS, if you want a great mutual fund recommendation, drop me a line.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.