No. of Recommendations: 51
<<<Just read that another favorite fool of mine has lost one of her three jobs. Unfortunately it was her primary full time job. So she has become another of the three million or so people that have lost their jobs and livelihood in the last couple of years.
And then I come to this board and read alot of drivel about people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps and blah blah.>>> MSHH

You got that right!!!!!!!

BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

After three months of marriage DH and I found out we were expecting our first child. We were living on meager means, with a $120 in the bank and hand me down furniture. We were young and we were determined!

The following month DH was laid off, I continued working till my "seventh month". My husband was still without a job. He pounded the pavement and knocked on any door he could to find work. It was another one of those nasty recessions and many were out of work, including my Dad. My Mom worked for the County Hospital and was the only one working to support all of us, including a young brother still at home. DH and I had no choice but to move in with Mom and Dad.

It was a full year before DH and Dad were back to work. The economy had finally turned around. And you know what? Both my Dad and DH each worked TWO FULL TIME JOBS to get the family out of debt and back on our feet again.

We asked for no hand outs, we didn't cry on anyone's shoulder, we scraped and got by. That is the legacy my folks taught us. Pull yourself up by the boot straps!

I could continue with all the hardships we endured raising our family, including the fact for several years one third of DH's paycheck went to cover Doctor bills. I was a stay-at-home Mom till my kids were near high school age. DH insisted on it. He believed it was important I stayed home with the kids. Many times DH took on a part time job for the extra money to stay afloat.

We didn't always have it this easy. Hard work and determination brought us to where we are at now.

<<<I wonder if she owns any dividend paying stocks so that she'll be able to get by on her tax free dividends until she finds another job. Somehow I doubt it since she was working three jobs.>>>

Lets hope she will one day. We got ours by working hard.

<<<Thanks for laugh, readyteddy.>>>

Hope you got a good laugh over my story.

<<<I'm sick of it. I'm sick of that idiot.>>>

Yeah, I know, I am too.......Clinton handed us and "W" this recession.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.