Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<<< 1. The article says "2. Or... he can transfer the ENTIRE balance of this Roth IRA to a traditional IRA." Does ENTIRE mean the $2000 for the current year or the balance since inception (which could be several years)? >>

Example 1 in the article you linked does say that. Roy was no doubt working under the [unstated] assumption that the account was new in 1999, and the 1999 contribution was the only one. All that must be recharacterized is the unallowable contribution and the earnings on it.>>

Exactly correct. Thanks for the clarification, Phil. There has been some general confusion on this issue (my e-mail box is full with similar questions). I guess I should have made it much clearer. Time for a re-write, I guess.

TMF Taxes

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.