Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<<You cannot make annual contributions of up to $2K unless you have earned income from a job. However, you may make rollover contributions at any time from other qualified plans like a pension or 401k. Therefore, you may transfer your pension money to an IRA. You just can't contribute to an IRA out of your pocket unless the money you use to do so came from a job.>>>>

I dislike quibbling with TMFPixy, but an important (IMO) caveat was omitted from his first sentence (and the last sentence, too).

"You cannot make annual contributions of up to $2K unless you have earned income from a job, unless you are married to a spouse who has earned income that qualfies for contribution to a spousal IRA.

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.