No. of Recommendations: 6
<<<The use of analysts like this by major financial institutions needs to stop, it is starting to get ridiculous.>>>

Why? If you are sophisticated to read through the lines, then you are sophisticated enough to take advantage of what happens to stocks after you read through the lines.
Playing for 5-10% and buying in, good luck with that. But real fear, uncertainty, and doubt, when you know that most of the media is full of it, gives you an advantage to dig for the real truth of the matter and invest accordingly, against the grain of thought.

Funny, when the $300 call on NVDA was made, I posted on NPI that the "tenor" had changed and that we were not at a top, but we were getting closer. When the press gets that positive, starts manufacturing reasons for a higher and higher price target, and then goes batty in regard, you know we are reaching a top. But a top always goes above and beyond a top. So I expect things to continue to go swell for awhile, but with more downward shakes from time to time as volatility is the cost when we head into such periods of time. So don't worry, be happy.

On the other hand, such periods of volatility are par for the course. Nothing new here. If you are invested for the long term, don't fret them.

And in the end 5-10% is nothing in the life of a stock. If you investment style is to fret over such things, or to make money off of such moves, then it is an alien method to me (not that it may not be an effective one).

I am not for criminalizing information, as long as we have enough of it that we can decide for ourselves, and understand the basis and purpose of where the information is coming from.

As we discussed with autonomous vehicles. We were discussing a report. A report that had some major claims on some dubious projections. A report that came out on the heels of Waymo getting a $70 billion appraisal by Morgan, and Uber needed a huge valuation for its current investors to make a profit, and for Uber to raise more capital as it hits a period of bad press.

Was this report put out for such nefarious purposes? Probably. yet within it were interesting things nonetheless. Take it for what it is. Look at the totality of information, and understand how the media works.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.