Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
<<Marriage is intended for the legal consolidation of assets and the rights thereto to extend to either surviving spouse and their progeny.

There is no other reason for marriage. It is not needed for the procreation and education of children; merely for who gets the loot when someone dies or it all falls apart. In fact, todays divorce rate makes a mockery of any idea that marriage provides a stable environment for children. In fact, today's divorce rate makes a mockery of the institution of marriage.>>

Mr. Schloss14 ... I have to disagree with you.

I married 36 years ago ... my parents hardly had any money. My wife's parents likewise. The farthest thing from my mind when I married my wife was the "consolidation of assets".

I married my wife, because I loved her. I still do. I had five children with her. and now have 6 grandchildren in addition. And every day that passes I love her an need her more. .... even when we are beginning to see our wrinkles.

Love is not just an emotion ... it is an act of the will. It is the desire and obligation to do whatever it takes so that your mate can feel secure and satisfied. So that the children can grow in a stable environment, as I grew up in one, and my children have grown up in, and my grandchildren are growning up in such environments also.

Marriages fail for lack of commitment, and lack of self sacrifice.

It is easy to walk away when things get tough, and the hell with the wife and the children. I have seen it. And sadly also, marriages fail because of adultery.

When I married, I also entered into a covenant with my wife and with Almighty God. I promised to love her and care for her, in sickness and in health, until death do us part ... so help me God.

The facts that marriages fail have nothing to do with the institution of marriage, it has to do with the people that enter into it and the seriousness with which they make their contractual commitments.

The fact that many people may be failing math, does not make math the problem, but rather, either the people are the problem or the instructors are the problem.

With marriage, likewise.

2invest2

p.s. It is a known fact that children do better in stable two parent families than in one parent families ... that simple

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.