Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My daughter & son-in-law have a house they are using as
rental property/ They only lived in the house for about a year.
Now they are looking at selling it, but they want to know if they take the profit and reinvest it into another rental property, what will be their tax liability? >>


As long as they proceed correctly. The sale of an investment property and the subsequent, timely purchase of another investment property falls under section 1031 of the IRC. It is called a 1031 Exchange. In essence, you are defering the payment of any capital gains on the sale of the property. If you plan correctly, you can avoid paying any captital gains for an infinite amount of time. I am hardly an expert on an exchange as I have not yet fully researched the procedures. There are plenty of resources on the net.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.