Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My family and I wish to visit the Philippines at least once or twice a year during retirement.
Hotels usually charge $150-250 a night so I'm thinking of investing in a condominium unit in Makati.
What are the tax implications for a US citizen buying a second home in the
Philippines?

Do I get to write off condo fees, maintenance expenses, travel, etc?>>

Where the second home is located is not the issue, Top. In general, regardless of where the properlty is located you'll be able to claim mortgage interest and property taxes as itemized deductions. But just like any other second home, travel to and fro, condo fees, maintenance expenses, etc. are generally NOT deductible.

Now, then, if you were to lease the property out during the year, and make one or two visits a year, strictly for maintenance purposes, you would have a different set of circumstances, and potentially some additional problems.

If you DID try to turn the property into a business property, you would still have problems trying to justify travel expenses (especially for the entire family) to the islands simply for maintenance.

But if you DO want to try to push the envelope on this, you should really get some professional tax advice.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.