Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<My parents have come on a visit here in US. They are staying with me for the past 8 months. Niether me nor my parents are US citizens. I am on H1B visa. I am supporting my parents 100%.

Can I claim them as dependants in TAx return>>

If your parents are considered non-resident aliens, then you can only take them as dependents on your tax return if they are citizens of Canada or Mexico.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.