Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<My son, 14 years old, earned a few hundred dollars this summer.>>

In what form? Like...through a W-2? Or from mowing lawns (as a self-employed person)? It sounds, from te balance of your question, that you are talking about W-2 income.

<< I know he can have an IRA, and I checked the board and found recommendations on which brokers and funds will allow me to open one on his behalf.>>

Basically correct.

<< My question is about the amount that he can contribute. Is it strictly limited to the amount that will appear on the W2 from his employer, or can he (or dear old dad) add more to reach $2k? >>

His contribution will be limited to the **LESSER** of his "earned" income (likely his gross wages from his W-2 form)OR $2,000. But if you are really interested in having Junior fund the complete IRA, you might want to read my article regarding IRAs for kids. You might be able to put him on YOUR payroll in one form or another. Check out my article on this issue in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.