No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My understanding of Roth IRA contributions are that they must be from earned income, and that they can not exceed earned income. My wife and plan to retire very soon, but want to keep our recently activated Roth's funded, at least until yet another change in Govt policy wipes them out. Question -- do I have to actually have to get a job, or could I form a dummy corp. and hire myself as a consultant or some other bull-slinging arrangement? We have enough money, and bagging groceries, whatever, for a few dollars just isn't my cup of tea, prefer fishing myself....TMFPIXY, or KAT??? Any ideas or clairifications?????>>

I agree with those who responded earlier to the effect that a "gimmick" approach is not advisable. However, you don't have to bag groceries to have earned income. For an explanation of what qualifies as taxable compensation income for this purpose visit this page:

KAT in Chicagoland
Tax Guide for Investors
Includes a complete guide to Roth IRAs
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.