No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Often, what gets outsourced are jobs that would be eliminated eventually anyway, due to automation or other factors.

Again, I don't know where the TMF writer got that bit of information from. What data is that based on? What study? Or is it just an impression or something? Who knows because no source for the claim is given.>>

Fair question. Unfortunately, I'm currently kicking myself for not having kept the links to articles I read preparing the piece I wrote. I did get that information from seemingly reputable sources (though it's now clear that even the New York Times contains errors) and I wish I had the links on hand. I apologize for this unsatisfactory answer.

That said, I can see that many jobs being outsourced may indeed be ones that could be automated (perhaps like filling out tax returns, in some way?) or otherwise eliminated. But as some of you suggested, I can also see the opposite side of the issue. I'm sure there are also many jobs that don't fit that bill.

It's a fascinating, complicated issue. On the one hand, it seems like it would be problematic to try and constrain businesses from outsourcing if that's what they want to do -- you'd be forcing them to decrease their profit margins, for one. But on the other hand, perhaps this is a major problem that does need to be addressed and corrected in some way.

Thanks to all of you who have shared your thoughts on it -- I found the Jack Welch snippet pretty interesting!

Selena
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.