No. of Recommendations: 0
<<SeattlePioneer writes,

Maybe they will make lousy investment decisions, but they will be a hell of a lot better than the virtually zero equity the politicians have left us with now.

Why leave them to make lousy investment decisions. Just put everyone's "self-directed" SS contribution into an index fund. There's a wealth of research that shows 80% of the people left to their own devices do worse.

I favor putting part of the SS contributions into "investments". I just question whether it should be "self-directed".

intercst >>

Fine in theory, but before very long interests groups are going to be leeching off a centrally controlled and directed pot of money. I am sure it would be taxed to serve the numerous noble causes for which politicians want money.

There's really no way to avoid that except eternal vigilence, like the National Rifle Association or other interest groups do on behalf of their concerns. But the interest of the public is fickle, and the interest of special interest groups is eternal and unsleeping.

After all, that's really what happened to Social Security. Instead of beiong administered in the interests of the people who were actually paying the taxes, and holding their money in interest bearing funds, politicians found it a lot more attractive to keep paying out ever larger benefits to people whose payments didn't cover expanded benefits, turning what might have been a decent and equitable system into a ponzi scheme.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.