No. of Recommendations: 2
<<So, when did you first support gay marriage. Were you a bigot the day before that?

Don't remember, exactly. Before Obama, at any rate. It just wasn't on my radar, since as a straight person it didn't directly affect me or anyone I knew.

20 to 30 years ago, I'm sure I would have looked at you funny for even suggesting such an idea, mostly because I hadn't really even thought it was something gay people would want to do (and that was my ignorance).

Don't know if I would describe myself as a bigot back then because I think that being a bigot takes a certain amount of holding a position because of thinking about it (or alternatively steadfastly refusing to think about something), but couldn't argue strongly against someone who would call me that in those days.>>

I see you let yourself off the hook of your own standards.

<<At some point after that, I had thought about it, and couldn't see any reason to not allow any couple to marry who wanted to.>>

Oh dear. There you go again! Limiting marriage to "couples" when there is a FAR morem extensive history of polygamy in human culture than of homosexual marriage.

And I'm guessing you would restrict marriage among couples if one person is twelve, thirteen or fourteen, despite extensive human experience with those values?

You flee from being labeled a bigot, yet you have all these arbitrary restions you would impose on those who "love" each other.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.