Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Take your example of "herniated disc in my back, with severe pain, one leg that wouldn't work".

Not that long ago, if a diagnostic test was needed for this type of problem, you might have had a myelogram. That would have required a needle placed through your back or neck, contrast dye injected into your spinal fluid, and a series of xrays taken with you in different positions. Afterwards, you might have had a severe headache or other side effects for hours or days. Then along came the MRI. A technical wonder which images the back so well. You lie on the machine, and the internal pictures are created without anything touching you. Like on Star Trek, but real.
>>

Thanks for the note. I'd assumed that the if the MRI hadn't been available, the diagnosis would have been made on the basis of the symptoms alone. I hadn't considered that an alternative and more burdensome method would have been used to confirm the diagnosis.

Just goes to show that almost anything is better than my quack doctoring!

Thanks for giving me a good answer to a question I've thought about from time to time for four years.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.