Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Thanks for the info, Roy. I got my info on the $600 from the irs web site: (teletax topic #456)

"If you paid $600 or more of interest on a qualified student loan during the year, you will receive a Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement, from the financial institution"

From this, I would gather that I will not get a 1099E from the bank because I paid less than $600 interest?>>

You're right...that's what it says. But the "general" interest rules are $10 or more. Perhaps this is some sort of stupid exception...I'm really not sure and don't have he time to research it right now.

As others have stated, I've seen 1099 forms for MUCH LESS than $600 in student loan interest paid. So, very honestly, I assumed that the $10 rule was in play here also.

But the good news is that YOU received your 1099 in the problem solved...regardless of what the rules are!!!

TMF Taxes

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.