Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<<The last paycheck we had was May 1, 2008. The above approach meant we did not have to sell any equities in 2008 or 2009. That meant the "risk" from the great recession had past as measured by the S&P. I plead guilty to accepting the idea a financial panic/meltdown like 2008/2009 is unlikely to happen very often.
>>

I sold off my furnace repair business and retired in May, 2007. I've lived off my assets since then, dividends and rental income mostly.

After living off my assets for nearly ten years, the change in my net worth has been about +50%. That's mostly due to those "risky" stock investments, and that includes going through the recession, of course.

I started investing in the stock market in the late 1970s, when the Down Jones average was about 750 and had been struggling for more than a decade to stay above 1,000.

These days, of course, the Dow Jones Average is struggling to stay above 20,000, and that doesn't include generous and increasing dividend payouts, either.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.