No. of Recommendations: 0
<<The people who write the laws must have good reason for writing them that way>>

One would hope but good reasons seem to be lacking here. It is tempting to think that the financial company made some sort of mistake but this doesn't seem to be the case.

<< I would guess that if you maintain residency at least to the extent that you pay US taxes on the money you have invested in the US, they should not care. But still there are risks.>>

If you are a US citizen your taxes are based on your worldwide income regardless of where you live- I think this is unique to the US. I guess having the statements go to a relative is a solution of sorts. I am not sure that this is an IRA issue. Vanguard requires a US address for all accounts and makes some sort of statement that they aren't approved to provide services in other countries. They will sell funds/securities to non-citizens with US addresses. I think that there might be some sort of international agreement with an impact here. Odd since so many of us are using the www and Vanguard also lets you "turn off" mailings except end of year statements.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.