No. of Recommendations: 6
<<The second issue, I think, centers around your own admitted lack of research into the specifics of your article before you appeared to jump to the conclusion that the Eleven are guilty.>>

5and10,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't have the information in front of me to offer an opinion on whether any one, much less every one, of the defendants might be liable. (Not "guilty" here -- we're talking civil law, not criminal. :) ) I hold open the possibility that under the facts as I understand them to be alleged, the actions could result in a finding of liability, should the case go that far (which I sincerely doubt).

<<I was struck by a tone in your article that doesn't seem to take the "balanced" even-handed approach more commonly found here. At times it almost approached a "preachy editorial" rather than news and/or balanced commentary. >>

It was written in the "Fool on the Hill" column, which is subtitled, "An Investment Opinion." That's what I hold it out as, an opinion.

Regarding the balance, I did manage to call CSFB "utterly silly" and note that my opinion was that the analyst had perhaps lost perspective. I tried to explain some of the shades of gray that I perceive here, the impressions based on 10 years in the field, imperfect knowledge of the specific case, and a desire to cover a wider area than is applicable to this one case. I don't claim to have succeeded perfectly on executing what I had hoped to.

<<I realize it was Friday, you needed to get the article posted, time was a problem and you may not have been able to get to the board to read the message (Yahoo! computer problem?). How about a more indepth followup that educates us with a little more definitive guidance than "play nice" and perhaps a critique of both the Eleven and CSFB's actions.>>

Well, thanks for giving me that many excuses, but I suppose maybe I just didn't really get across what I wished to through lack of skill as a writer? I hope to return to the issue soon -- it is obviously one that merits further review given the state of interest and confusion.

Thanks for your thoughtful critique,

Bill Barker

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.