No. of Recommendations: 5
<<There are three neighbors all about 1 mile away.

It is a mix of woods, pastures and streams.

We have designed the house to be heated with wood, which we are use to harvesting from the forest.

I do want to seed some logs with mushrooms, add in a small orchard and convert some of the forest to silvapasture.

We plan on creating a multiple gardens; herbs, vegetables, lettuce, maybe corn, etc.

We plan on raising cattle and possibly sheep.

We plan on putting in an apiary for honey.

The nearest grocery store is 10 to 15 miles away.>>

Well, everyone needs a hobby.

I'm sure you realize what you are describing requires a lot of daily labor.

Just cutting, splitting stacking, drying and moving wood for a wood stove is a lot of labor by itself.

Also, as you get older, your ability to do that labor can be expected top decline sharply over time.

I've harvested the apples from one apple tree which produces a huge amount of fruit. What do you plan on doing with that? I picked the apples, w ashed the apples, cut the apples to cut out worms, ground the apples, put the mash in a cider press, squeezed out the juice, washed the containers for the juice, drained the juice into the containers washed the filled containers and put the filled containers in the freezers. Takes eight pounds of apples to make one quart of apple cider, was my experience. That's a large amount of sheer work by itself, and only for one tree.

You are posting on an early retirement board, but you are talking about working until you die with what you are proposing.

Personally I harvest water from my gutters and haven't used citiwater for years. Heat my home with wood. Used to make that apple cider. Grow own garden ----- all on a 110 x 25 foot lot. I am doing much the same kind of thing you propose to do, but on vastly less land. Still takes a lot of labor for one person to provide.

Have you viewed the exercise in self sufficiency from the British comedy "Good Neighbors"? It shows a determined effort at self sufficiency on a city lot and gives an idea of the labor and issues involved. What kind of property do you live on now, and to what extent could that be adapted to a self sufficiency experiment to try it out for a while, without all the costs and commitments of the kind of move you are planing to make?

The "Good Neighbors" characters often consider the advantages, and disadvantages, of switching from a backyard to a small holding of acres. They always decide against it. It might be worthwhile considering their reasoning.

My experience is that I can keep myself as busy as I wish with my back yard self sufficiency hobby.

I'm hoping you have considered these kinds of issues carefully.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.