Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<These funds weren't in any sort of IRA...just straight funds in my name. My child is six years old now and I want to start an Ed IRA for her. Can I transfer the monies from the mutual funds to this Ed IRA? How about a Roth IRA in her name? >>

Roth and ED IRAs must be funded with cash so you would have to cash out and pay the taxes before starting the IRAs.

Roth IRAs also must be funded with earned income so it's unlikely you can open one for your daughter.

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.