Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<To clarify my situation: We bought the first house (in Utah, 1992) for $125000, sold it for $179000
(in May 1996), put $10000 in improvements, with a realitor fee of $8500. I figure that
($179000-$125000-$10000-$8000=$36000) our taxable capital gain is $36000. I bought another
house in Miss. for $132000 in Apr, 1997. Can I sell a couple loser stocks to offset some of the
capital gains?>>

As KAT points out, you may already have some problems. If the sale took place in 1996, that is when the ultimate GAIN must be reported. So, in your situation, you may have to go back and amend your 1996 return in order to report the appropriate gain on the sale. You must remember that the old 24 month "reinvestment" rule was the time period required to purchase a new principal residence...NOT the time required to report the gain. As KAT points out, the 1996 return is the key.

Under the OLD home rollover rules, you might have been able to slither out of this sutation by buying yet a BRAND NEW home within your 24 month period. Under the old rules, the "interim" home (your current Miss. home) could be ignored for the "rollover" period.

And the new home sale rules may provide you with an exception that you MAY be able to use in order to solve your problems. But the review of this entire situation and the interpretations will be based upon your individual situation, and will require the assistance of a qualified tax pro.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.