Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Vermonter:"Sigh... We're ready for spring some day!"

Spent 4 years in Troy NY and my recollection was it got to be 'warm' about the time of final exams....and that was mid to late MAY.

Of course, up that way, June is also known as 'black fly' month which usually follows May as 'mud month'.......across much of VT and upstate NY...

The worst part of winter, beside the cold, snow, wind, dark......was the grime that accumulated on the sides of the road....black piles of snow/grit snow ice from the road sanding and plowing .......throughout the winter.....

Then by late April, after a 'short summer' from maybe July 4 to Labor Day, with maybe a few days of Indian summer after....the leaves would start turning in late early/early September - letting you know that October would be leaf raking month...and possibly the first snow to have to shovel....>>

I spent a couple of winters in East Lansing, Mi at Michigan State University. Something of a shock climate wise for a Seattle boy.

I have vivid memories of the traditional Easter snowstorm which piled up fresh snow which was then plowed over the sidewalks I would have like to be able to use. The sidewalks could have four feet of snow covering them, replete with the grit you describe from the streets.

Perhaps Global Warming is helping to solve that climate issue for Michigan residents? One can only hope.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.