Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Would anyone out there happen to know what code gets put on the 1099-R when you withdraw your contributions (contributions only) from a Roth IRA? In filling out a distribution request form (Vanguard) to do this, the "reason for distribution" entry befuddles me because none of the choices given seem to apply to a Roth IRA contribution withdrawal. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone "in the know" on this. Thanks!>>

As far as I know, if you don't meet the any of the penalty exceptions (such as over age 59 1/2, etc.)what you have IS an "early" distribution, and will have to be coded as such. Then, when you complete form 8606 for the year of distribution, you'll reconcile the fact that you are simply taking out your prior contributions, and will owe no taxes or penalties.

Other than that, you'll have to contact the Vanguard folks.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.