No. of Recommendations: 1
<Question is....Ladder myself or Active Management for .5% >

I would say, without a shadow of a doubt, that you should manage your own ladder.

In a low interest rate environment, 0.5% is a major portion of the income. And make no mistake -- we will be in a low interest rate environment for safe investments for at least a few years.

As an individual, you have access to advantaged fixed income investments, such as bank and credit union CDs and I-Bonds (if they ever become sweet again), which the investment professionals can't touch.

These have provided us with a higher yield than the Treasury bond index. Since we hold to maturity, we always get our principal back.

To get a higher yield than Treasuries in the market, the bonds have higher risk.

It's not that hard to set up a bond ladder yourself. Please feel welcome to run your ideas past the Bonds Board.

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.