No. of Recommendations: 0
<"So...the sad news is that you cannot (safely) take a larger draw on your portfolio before you start collecting SS"

I think you could, provided you counter-balance it by taking a smaller draw on your portfolio after you start collecting SS. That's the calculation I'm trying to get at.

Well, another thing that I thought of after hitting submit is the saying that you should NOT invest money that you'll be needing in the next few years. The short-term fluctuations in the market are huge. If you invest $X now, there's a 30% chance that in 5 years the investment will be less than $X.

Ah...taking a larger draw sometimes and a smaller draw sometimes already has a name----Variable Withdrawals. Based on portfolio returns and fluctuations in portfolio value.

You can't take a large draw now and plan to offset it by taking a smaller draw later. Because the "safe" draw amount depends on the statistics of the portfolio, historically.
Consider the case where you take an 8% draw for 5 years and plan to offset that by taking 3% afterwards.

Firecalc show the worst-case portfolio balance at the end of 5 years as only 25% of the initial value.

So you start off with $100K, take 8% for 5 years, now you have $25K. You go from $8000/yr (8% of $100K) to $750/yr (3% of $25K).

The risk is too great. Sometimes there is no way to do what we want to do.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.