Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
<Seems like a good business model is always a good business model.....at least, some of the time.>

Absolutely. I was fascinated by and recommended the original post in this thread. The reasons for the demise of the business under the BILs care are only too clear. Unfortunately doing what the original owner did does not necessarily guarantee success or it may do at one stage of your life in the business but not at another.

I'm having lots and lots and lots of problems with my business. Yet we 'qualify' (at about 110%!) under all the customer care issues raised by the first post.

I'm currently attending a marketing course. I've been on such things before but another bite at the cherry was prompted by our current situation. My plight as the only business really under immediate threat has engaged the course tutor to the point where he is giving me individual tuition sessions (this is allowed under the course funding rules) and all the other course members have thrown themselves into trying to provide solutions too.

But even the course tutor has admitted to feeling helpless in the face of the fact that comments from customers define us as just the best business ever. Yet we can't make enough for basic survival (and my accountant confirms that I've got the tightest grip on the overheads that he's come across). The tutor has also admitted that we seem to have tried just about every marketing method known to small businesses without success - or at least we've been successful in the sense that we've had the publicity on TV & radio and many of our customers have a sort of second unpaid job in recommending us to others, but in the end we are being defeated by the lack of footfall in the shop.

This isn't a despairing post. The tutor came again today and he and I and the staff brainstormed one more time and we did come up with a few more approaches to try and we are going to try! But in the end you can do perfect marketing, have a really good product range, have the best customer care you can come across and still not be able to make it work.

Lynn

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.