Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<Sorry, this "old dinosaur," (guilty as charged) happen to enjoy the high class that my wife displays in feminine intuition. I depend on her a lot, for as a man, I can think with only one side of my brain at a time, where you ladies can us both at the same time, according to people who study that sort of thing, and I rather think they are on target. OR.......... maybe I just happen to have the enjoyment/company of a super sharp woman.>

I apologize, Gene, for being snippy with you.

I am a scientist who trained in the early 1970s, when women (including me) were discouraged from entering science in many ways.

One of these ways was by men saying, condescendingly, that women have "intuition" while men were analytical. The adviser for my college science department was only one of the many men who tried to lay this counterproductive and false dichotomy on me. (I scored in the 99th percentile on the math SAT, the math National Merit Scholarship test and the math N.Y. State Regents scholarship exam, so nobody could tell me that I wasn't analytical.) Fortunately, I ignored him and all the others and became a professional chemist -- but I also became allergic to male stereotypes that said that women couldn't be analytical because they were intuitive.

Actually, intuition is the willingness of any person (male or female) to connect neural networks that recognize patterns, whether visual, social or sensory. It also requires the willingness to value the pattern that is recognized. Anyone who willfully cuts off an important source of information -- as misogynistic cultures train men to reject "feminine" intuition -- is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

It is possible that you bypassed the past 40 years of brain research and women's academic achievement that shows that both women and men have both analytical skill and intuition -- if they train their brain circuits to access and use these abilities. The right and left sides of the human brain, including the male brain, are connected by the corpus callosum and have plenty of neural networks that communicate.

Should (God forbid) you have a stroke and the left side of your brain be damaged, it is possible to retrain alternate brain circuits to compensate.
http://www.amazon.com/Brain-That-Changes-Itself-Frontiers/dp...

Western (male) philosophers have for hundreds of years set up false dichotomies, such as nature/ nurture, intuition/ analytical and right brain/ left brain. Recent research shows that there are no dichotomies, but there are interactions between many variables. It is absolutely possible to adjust any of the variables (except, to our current knowledge, DNA -- although it is possible to influence epigenetic factors).

There is a balance and the balance is important.

Recent research shows that older people can learn new things and can even change the neural structure of their own brain with practice (plasticity).

I am sure that your wife is super-sharp in more ways than intuition. I'm also sure that she is truly a lady in the classic sense of the word and would never dream of trying to shift your stereotypes one millimeter ;-).

Wendy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.