Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
<There is room for lots of improvements that will make absentee voting more secure and less tempting to would be fraudsters. Most dems want none of it.>

At their core, democrats who adamantly oppose voter ID laws are bigots. They continually practice the bigotry of low expectations. IOW, their go to assumption is that minority voters are simply incapable of obtaining an ID on their own.

I the face of this noise and craziness, I have heard a number of minority voices on tv say that they do not know any other minority person who does not possess multiple forms of ID. In many cases one needs to produce a valid ID multiple times on a daily basis. In the course of any given year, the average person probably produces an ID hundreds or even thousands of times for dozens and dozens of different functions.

For me to get my various discounts at the grocery store I have to produce an ID that I applied for and was issued by the store. Many employees need to scan their IDs multiple times a day in order to enter the facility they work in. When I have my car inspected I need to produce my license, registration and insurance card, three forms of ID that all require you verify you are who you say you are. But somehow voting is not important enough to do that.

For the Georgia voting law, one can produce IDs from many common sources including a drivers license, a pay stub or a utility bill to identify themselves as a real person. It isn't burdensome at all.

I have previously mentioned a pretty simple idea called friction. Scott Adams often speaks about it being a core concept. If one wants less of a particular behavior, you put more friction into the process. If one wants more of a behavior your reduce or eliminate the friction. A bank has lots of money in the building. They also have bullet proof windows and laws that prosecute those who set out to rob the bank. They also require forms of ID to verify that they are giving cash to the correct person.

Another simple illustration of this can be seen in all the rioting, looting and physical violence that took place in many American cities last spring, summer and fall. There are laws with severe penalties for those violent actions. The participants saw that there were no penalties handed out for these crimes. In fact many of the mayors and others in power actively encouraged the behavior. This led to much more of the behavior as all friction had been removed from the process.

As you and others have pointed out there are countless ways that one may manipulate the rules to their advantage by eliminating many controls that were there to assure the integrity of the process.

Again, a root cause of so many of our problems is having a dishonest media that is so blatantly biased in what they report and do not report that one should not believe their weather reports without verifying it by looking out the door yourself. That is not going to be fixed any time soon.

BG
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.