Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<what i always wonder about metricom is their need to put in place tons of little antennas. it seems like a harder infrastructure to upgrade...>

It is rather labor intensive as they are currently upgrading the system to support 56kbps by December, but from my point of view they are the only player. You can use a Cell phone from Sprint and run your laptop at 14KBPS but that is 25% of the speed of a ricochet modem. Plus with Sprint you will probably have to pay some serious fees. For $25 a month I am King. When the mobile businessman figures out that he can get 56kbps in December at a very cheap price. He will jump at the chance to own one. I love mine and take it out with me on my car trips. It worked from Seattle to Los Angeles and I was able to use it at speeds of 70 mph which is amazing(I was not driving ofcourse) Do that with a fixed line modem if you can. The greatest thing was being able to get online in a Hotel room without having to pay the outlandish hotel phone charges. I think they charge $5 for 15 minutes on the internet at a hotel business center. Metricom will do away with Hotel business centers someday.

MYCROFT
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.