Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
<You represent yourself as a scientifically fluent theist. I would like to hear why.>

I am not sure exactly what you are asking here, but I will take a stab at a concise answer.

Speaking as a specifically Christian theist, almost all conflicts with science and religion are a result of a literal interpretation of the Bible. As someone who follows the more traditional interpretational method, of assuming that something in scripture must be allegory should it conflict with scientific observation, I am not, for example, encumbered by the idea that God created the world in six 24-hour days, or that evolution is incompatible with scripture. My take on creation becomes, then, the idea that God created the universe out of nothingness 14.3 billion or so years ago - an idea which is not in any way proven by, but is compatible with the scientific evidence [ie, the idea of the 'Elegant Universe']. Where my view becomes unreasonable from the atheist point of view is that I see room for the miraculous - but assuming for the moment the existence of God, it strikes me that God would be able to influence matter on the subatomic level, and that the 'hand of God' could ultimately be seen in the seemingly random world of quantum mechanics.

Hopefully that is as clear as mud 8-).

Cheers,
madmikeyd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.