Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Lving in California, it should have been a required class, way early in Grade School. We had a farm/ranch, hired hispanics aka braceros at the time for picking the berry crop, parents & older brothers worked alongside them and their families in the Apple, Cherry orchards and the hop fields.. I was young, played with some of the kids, but never picked up the language. As an adult, I kick myself for not signing up in HS and beyond to learn the language... Even today at the local flea market, it would be handy, I talk to some of the old timers, the Mexican folks that have lived here forever, Buenos Dios, Senore! , etc, and tell them I need a Mexican injection! I pick up bits and pieces, but a lot is missing, maybe some is slang, and some is actually other, South American languages, as well as the Vietnamese who also sell out there.. A Viet Nam Vet has fun teasing them in their own language, as he learned it well when he was over there.. We have many Japanese families in the area, yet another language it would have been nice to know, old friends, burn here, had their immigrant parents living with them, there again, it would have been nice to know, talk to them of their lives, struggles...

As I near 80, I doubt it would be easy to learn languages now, it should have been promoted much earlier..
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.